Blackened Cherry Chicken Tacos
Print RecipeBlackened Cherry Chicken Tacos Yum
When Season 9 of Food Network's Food Truck Road Trip stopped in Phoenix out at Rawhide I went out to the Elimination Segment where a friend of mine was working as the Rattlesnake Wrangler. Meet the cast on three of the Trucks, Mobile Moo Shu, New England Grill and Chop's Shop and I got to taste a Bulgogi Taco from Mobile Moo Shu and a Shrimp and Elote Quesadilla from Chop's Shop. Tyler Florence talked about a dish that Chop's Shop did that sounded really good but they had sold out of that one during the day. I asked if they could send me the recipe. Bryan the Chef on the Truck sent me the ingredient list (no measurements obviously) and some basic preparation instructions. The following is my take on his dish.
- 1.25 lbs Chicken Breasts
- 16 oz Frozen Cherries thawed, drained and quartered
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tb Honey
- 3 Tb Lime Juice
- 1 Tb Hot Sauce
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper diced
- 3 Tb Cilantro chopped
- 2 Green Onions sliced thin
- 2 Tb Butter
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- Corn Tortillas
- In a small mixing bowl add the Bell Peppers, Cilantro, Green Onion, 1 C of the Chopped Cherries, Hot Sauce, 1 TB of Lime Juice and 1/4 tsp of Kosher Salt. Toss well to combine then place in the fridge while you finish cooking
- Sliced the Chicken Breasts in half length-wise then cut into thin 1/4 strips
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt, Pepper, Paprika and Cayenne. Add the Chicken strips and coat well. Add the Honey and 2 TB of the Lime Juice. Toss to combine.
- Place the Butter and 1 C of Chopped Cherries in a skillet. Cook until the Cherries are softened and the the Butter has taken on the Cherry color
- Add the Chicken and cook till done. Don't over cook as you want the Chicken juicy
- In a separate skillet add the Olive Oil and over Medium High Heat cook the Corn Tortillas. Place the softened Tortillas on a paper towel to drain
I made a drink with 1/3rd Peach Nectar, Cherry Juice and Ginger Ale to serve with the Tacos
Share this Recipe
This was a great recipe. The family loved it so much that they wanted more than I made. It was flavorful and colorful.
Thanks for sharing!